21 October, 2008

I eat, sleep, and read (political philosophy)



So, a bunch of people (mostly family) want to know what I'm doing with my time.

Mostly, I'm studying. The main difference between studying at Oxford and at Brown is that I'm taking just two, intensive classes at a time, and writing a paper at least once a week. This much writing involves a lot of reading for hours on end, but the actual class meetings, in which I discuss my papers one-on-one with my instructors, have been amazing so far.

I made my obligatory rounds signing up for every student group in existence at the Activities Fair here, and I've been trying my best to get involved. This term (the first 8 weeks) I'm rowing with Mansfield's boat club. The autumn term is for amateurs, and most visiting students give it a try because rowing is a quintessentially "Oxford" experience.

The city itself (Oxford, about 60 miles outside London) is beautiful. There's even more going on here than I expected, including a great theatre and restaurant scene. The university is broken up into a ton of constituent colleges, so there are some iconic places I haven't seen because they are part of other colleges. Hopefully I'll find a reason to explore those as well soon.

As far as the essentials go, there are more Chinese and Thai restaurants here than anywhere I've ever been, barring Chinatown. I'm having more trouble finding acceptable ice cream. I'm keeping up hope, though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the school work sounds challenging, but how can that possibly compensate for the ice cream shortage?? Keep searching, MOM

Em said...

G&D's on St. Aldates, opposite Christchurch college.

Enjoy.

Jonah said...

I had a bad G&D's experience, but I'll go back based on your recommendation. :)

Em said...

I mean, I only went to G&D's once. So it could have been an anomaly.