According to Andrew Lloyd Weber (whom I take to be authoritative), during his final days Jesus was criticized by Judas for frittering away the JC Club's resources, using a "fine ointment" which could have been worth "300 silver pieces (or more)" instead of, you know, feeding babies.
That exchange seems reasonable enough, but here's my question: Didn't Judas later betray Jesus for thirty pieces of silver? I had always assumed that thirty pieces was a relatively large sum of money. So, was the great betrayal financed with silver worth one-tenth the cost of a jar of ointment? Was this the most expensive ointment in history (maybe the diamond cream from Arrested Development) or was Judas bought off on the cheap?
Your input would be appreciated. I hope my Christian friends know that my flippant tone isn't meant to be offensive; I am genuinely curious about whether the thirty piece payment was a large sum or a token one.
On a related note (sort of...money?), I accidentally ruined my leather wallet by putting it through the wash yesterday. At first I was upset, but to be honest, I enjoy wallet shopping and it's not something one gets an excuse to do very often.
1 comment:
Your driver's license expires next month anyway!
Post a Comment