18 November, 2008

Burning Question of the Week

"Puff the magic dragon lived by the sea."

I'll get straight to the point. Jacky Paper was a cool kid, and brought Puff fancy stuff, as you may recall. One of the fancy items was wax. Up until recently, I had assumed it was ceiling wax. You know...people wax floors, and Puff must be pretty tall, so he probably wants his ceiling to look spiffy too.

Then I realized two things: First, Puff lives in a cave, and caves do not usually contain waxable surfaces. Second, upon a recent trip to a University of Oxford store, I encountered sealing wax for the first time (Yes, Oxford wax. I'll suggest it to my colleagues at the Brown store when I get home). Now, we all know that Puff had lots of "giants' rings", so he could presumably have used wax to seal his letters to the "noble kings and princes", right?

A quick internet search shows that ceiling is the preferred word on lyrics sites, but there are some that claim sealing was originally intended. Once again, I am confounded by homophones and the internet is no help.

P.S. The green dragon was soooo scary. I'm glad I saved Princess Gwaelin from him.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

... you know Dad killed the green dragon for you. You were afraid to look at the screen.

You red slime.

Jonah said...

As I said...the dragon was scary. The Scrolls of Honor still reflect that JONAH (ALL CAPS) saved the world.

(Ok, I better stop it with the video game references now. Thanks Seth. Noah. Snoah.)

Unknown said...

Noah told me to read your post because it was really funny. But, to be honest, I have no clue what you're talking about.