12 November, 2008

Halfway through Michaelmas

Upon handing in my paper for today, I realized that (measuring in the number of papers I have to write) I am exactly halfway through my first term here in Oxford. That seemed to deserve a blog post. Plus, (hint:) if someone were to actually comment on my blog, I would know that it was being read and feel less like I'm talking to myself. (hint2: I know you're reading it Mom and Dad, so you don't need to comment).

It's been a tumultuous week, and I still have a paper due Friday. I'm very excited about Obama, annoyed and saddened about Prop 8, and generally missing home with all the news focusing on US politics. On a lighter note, I'm trying to plan my adventures for my winter break (Rome?) so cool Europe suggestions would be welcome. It's cold here, so I may prioritize going somewhere just a little bit less cold.

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about my plans for next year and beyond, how they're related to what I'm studying, and generally whether or not reading so many political philosophy treatises and healthcare studies is worth my time (and parents' money). Though I'm churning out papers faster than a room full of monkeys with typewriters, I have been feeling a bit like I'm just spinning my wheels, not really accomplishing much of anything.

There are more little cultural differences between Brits and Americans than people back home appreciate. Maybe my social ineptitude doesn't help matters, but I can't help feeling a bit more of an outsider than I usually do.

This isn't a very fun post and I don't want to go into more detail about these thoughts here, so I'll stop. Maybe I'll post a cartoon or something later.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw it on Facebook so of course I am reading this! Let me know where you go for winter break so we can cross it off the list of possible spring break destinations...yay us being nerdy somewhere in Europe together.
I also saw someone at HUC this week walking around with As A Driven Leaf and thought about you and how I made us read it lol good times.
If you need anything, you know how to find me :)

Anonymous said...

Helloooo! :-D

Ok, first- here's a comment! :-D

Second- statcounter.com :-D

Third, on the subject of whether or not studying political science is worth your time and your parents' money- as someone who has a BA in political science thanks to- among other things- my parents' financial support, I might have to refrain from saying anything (especially since I know your parents are reading this...). I did learn a lot during that time. Not necesarily about political science though (uh, I hope I didn't say too much. I probably did).

As for being an outsider- you're a tourist! embrace being an outsider and enjoy it, it's fabulous. Don't fight it, because if you win, all you get is boredom!

Maybe start by getting a ridiculous hat?.. :-P Also a camera and a good map. And lots of local candy! :-D

Have fun!
Meital
:-)

Anonymous said...

Think Greece, think Turkey, think warm. You are mistaken, I never read, just comment. MOM

Unknown said...

"There are more little cultural differences between Brits and Americans than people back home appreciate." The biggest one, so far as I can tell, is that Americans carry beverages with them wherever they go. I hear (from Brits) that Brits do not do this.

Anonymous said...

Jonah, go swimming at night:
Bring your torch, put on your swimming costume, and before you go, make sure to put your trash in the rubbish bin.

But if all else fails... talk like an American Asshole!

PS - Sorry about Prop 8, although check out Massachusetts "Question 2" which passed... there are hidden blessings (reasons to celebrate) everywhere

Anonymous said...

Must be fascinating to be in Britain after the election, wondering what the brits think about Obama and what it, hopefully, says to them about our country after the last nightmare 8 years. Prop 8 decision was unfortuneate but some good news, at Connecticut judge cleared the way for gay marraige and he first couples began to wed this week.